Thursday, June 18, 2009

Books I'm Giving to My Kids to Read

I was a big reader when I was a kid. In Sixth grade, we had an assignment to list all the books we'd read that year-- my list was 80 books long and three in process. Even now, I'll devour a book in a few days if I have the time, and I was always getting in trouble for reading at work.

The upshot of all this is that there are books I love so much, I want my kids to read them when they're young so they can be as important to them as they are to me. Here they are, in no particular order:

- Wise Child by Monica Furlong
- UnLunDun by China Mieveille
- The Hero and the Crown AND The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley
- The Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis
- Charlotte's Web
- Alice in Wonderland AND Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carrol
- Tottie
- A Hawk in Silver by Mary Gentle
- The Boy With the Bronze Axe

Slightly older reccommendations:
- DragonFlight by Anne McCaffrey
- Curse of the Kings by Victoria Holt
- Deerskin AND Spindle's End AND Sunshine by Robin McKinley
- Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman (and, really, anything by Gaiman)
- Pale Blue Dot by Carl Sagan
- Godstalk by PC Hodgell


I'm sure there's more, but that's off the top of my head. For posterity.

No comments:

Post a Comment