Monday, November 8, 2010

review: how to write science fiction and fantasy by orson scott card

I don't usually read craft books. I love language, but for some reason, books about how it works just bore the brain right out of my head. But I needed one for school and I'd read some of Card's stuff before, so I thought, this is as good as any, right?

It was. I'm so glad I wasn't disappointed. There aren't as many books specifically for sf / f writing as there are for writing in general, and I wanted to read one of them first, and this was a good choice. It's a little outdated, at least in the copy that I have, but it's clear, conversational, helpful, and it goes over a lot of the specific problems, shorfalls, common mistakes and details that a person writing genre has to think about.

Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment