Sunday, July 26, 2009

in-reading notes: city of bones

I've been meaning to read this book for years, since I was an LJ fan of Cassie Claire after discovering the Very Secret Diaries and her wonderful potter-fic (there's a reference in one of the chapters that made me happy that I was a fan beforehand-- see if you can catch it). I don't know why I didn't pick it up before; I think it's just because I never saw it before-- until I was at some backwater WalMart with my brother, and they happened to have a really good (and cheap) specfic YA section, featuring all three of the books. I wish I could have afforded all of them, and I was reasonably sure I'd like them, having read some of her other stuff, but I couldn't get them all and I wanted to save what little money I had just in case I didn't like it inexplicably.

Now I wish I'd been able to get them all, because now I'll have to hunt them all down (probably on Amazon, where they'll cost more, since our walmart has nothing and our B&N leaves much to be desired), because I'm really loving this book.

The characters are all interesting, teenagers in a way that feels honest and real-- and best of all, makes sense. When you're actually a teen, all your reactions seem normal and honest, and when you're older you're all, like, what the crap was I thinking?? But these kids make sense, being kids and a weird world that shouldn't make sense to people so young, and they make do with what they have. I love Clary. I want to name a daughter after her in hopes that she'd be as strong and compassionate and understanding and persistent. All their interractions are interesting to me, and I'm not sure who I want to root for as my shippy little brain looks for an OTP to ship-- which is good, because it means the book isn't predictable. I'm sad I have to go to work later; it means I'll have to stop reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment