Sunday, July 5, 2009

a year of living biblically

This is a fun, witty, often funny, often touching and very personal look at how one agnostic man manages to navigate the wilds of religion. And it made me feel like a bad person. See, I stopped thinking of myself as a Christian a long time ago, and usually I'm fine with that. There was too much I never agreed with and never felt comfortable with... and apparently, alot of that wasn't what was actually in the bible so much as it was what people have added on since then. And when he explained why things were the way they were, why things mattered, alot of it made sense. Which made me thinkmaybe I should go through my belief system and be sure I was following all the things I thought I was a well as I could. I'm kind of a low-energy person, and I know there are things I feel I should be doing, but if they take effort, I tend to not do them.

I don't think this was a life-changing read. Maybe if it had had more time to go into things, more space to elaborate on ideas and define concepts and flesh out events that happened and how he and his family dealt with them, maybe it would have been. But as it was, it seemed like there wasn't alot of time given to any of the ideas-- there were too many rules in too little time, and the book was pretty long already. It was one of those reads where I kept thinking about it when I wasn't reading it, and where I kept going back to it, but once it was done, I think it didn't quite wrap up for me the way I was hoping... though I'm not sure waht I was hoping for.

A good book, though, and well worth the time and effort. I just wish there was a companion book, or a followup or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment