Friday, July 24, 2009

I've decided to read 100 books in the next year

Or, more specifically, in the year since my birthday, so I'm already a month and a half through it. So far, looking back through the book posts here and on the SciFi blog, and counting the three or four books I'm currently working on, I'm at ten, which I think is a good start. I write better when I'm reading.

Here's what I've got:
Odd and the Frost Giants
A Year of Living Biblically
The Line Between
Sunshine
The Blue Sword
The Green Rider
City of Bones
Anansi Boys
Blood Price
Little, Big

Grandma let us pick through the books she hasn't traded in yet and I got the following: Azimov - Second Foundation*, King - Hearts in Atlantis and Bag of Bones**, Britain - Green Rider***, Brown - Deception Point, Cooper - The Grey King. And I bought Harris - Dead Until Dark and Claire - City of Bones, both of which I haven't even seen here and have been wanting to read for ages.





*Which I hope is easier to read than Foundation was when I was twelve, because it bugs me that I never got through that book and I feel like I'm supposed to have read them, since Azimov is such a big name in SciFi...
**I've never been a big fan of King's splatter-gore type of scariness, but I think these are on the other side of his personality, where things are more thoughtful and creepy than gory and gross. I liked his On Writing, and I want to like his books, but the main ones just never got me.
***Which seems to be pretty good so far, if a bit like Song of Ice and Fire in so much as there's a massive magical wall at the north that keeps out bad stuff. I'm unsure of what the analagous time-period is, but that hasn't been a problem so far; it seems to be somewhere almost Victorian, with bits of Medieval thrown in to replace industrialization. Can you do Victoriana without industrialization? We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment