Monday, August 23, 2010

in-reading notes: murder in vein

There's something off about this book. The story's fine, the mystery is interesting, but the main character feels... hollow. Like all she does is react, while at the same time she doesn't have much in the way of internal monologue exccept for what she's physically doing, and it makes her sort of Mary-Sue-ish. Like Bella Swan from Twilight, though this is meant to be an adult book and isn't really that sort of vampire novel at all. I just feel like I don't need an avatar in the book world; I know who I am, and I don't need to ride someone else and fill in the gaps. Just show me who you are, Madison Rose.

Other than that, it's pretty interesting, and I'm liking the plot. I like also that the vampires are a married couple, which is a nice difference from most, and I like the Detective who seems to never sleep. He reminds me of an amalgam of people from the Blood Ties stories, and hopefully he'll get more page time in the second half.

I still don't understand why people keep basing vampire stories in LA, though. Anyway. Pet peeve.

Review is due Sunday or before, and the book comes out Sept 1, so there's still time for the end to totally win me over.

1 comment:

  1. I just read Major Pettigrew's Last Stand. It's a really slow book rhythmically and the protag is an old man, but I love the book. Isn't great finding a book to love?

    ReplyDelete