Monday, August 23, 2010

omnitopia dawn by diane duane

This book... I really wanted to like it, but it just felt like so much of it was waiting for something to happen, that huge swathes of the book never actually did anything. It's past the half-way point before even the inkling of something happening happens, and then it really all doesn't come together until the second-to-last chapter. It's got a good idea, but it has trouble getting there, and I wish I was one of her advance-readers while she was writing it-- I think I could have convinced her to shift the focus and it would have been so much better. But maybe that's just my ego talking.

I'll probably pick up the next book in the series, but if it's similarly slow, I doubt I'll care much past that.

Side note:
The cover of the book calls it a 'thriller'. Does that word mean 'extremely backloaded so that most of the rest of the book doesn't really matter when it comes down to it'? Because Impact was also called a thriller, and though I found it almost insufferable, while this one was just dull, they have the same dragging in the plot, the same idea that most of the book is just filler. If that's how it is, I think I don't care at all about thrillers, and they're mostly lazy writing and sort of an insult to the scifi tropes they seem to want to steal all over the place lately.

Official review here.

PS: There doesn't seem to be much sense to where the links go in. I'll have to play around with that, I think...

No comments:

Post a Comment